Thursday, March 27, 2008

BPA-Free Bottles & Sippy Cups

There's been a lot of hype about plastics that contain bisphenol A (BPA), a chemical used in polycarbonate products. The concern is that it could leach out of baby bottles and harm young children; it has been found to cause cancer and reproductive damage in some animals. This is still a hotly disputed issue within the scientific community, but with millions of parents worldwide using regular bottles and sippy cups, many are in a panic. Bottle nipples are not involved (sigh of relief).
I was able to research this issue before my child was born and made the decision to go with the Born Free line. They are BPA-free and otherwise the same as regular bottles. They are a little big more expensive, but I figure it's worth it. A twin pack of 5 oz. bottles sells for $18.99 on the company's website
There are also other alternatives. Someone just let me know about this new line of bottle called Thinkbaby, which is also BPA-free, but slightly cheaper than the Born Free ones. A twin pack of 5oz. bottles sells for $16.49 on their website. I haven't tried them yet, but the woman that recommended them loved them. I like the cute design and figure it's worth checking out.

Evenflo also has a line of glass bottles, which is by far the cheapest. A 3-pack of 4 oz. bottles sells for $5.99. I'm scared to go this route though, as I have images of shattered glass all over my diaper bag.

No comments: